Avoid Credit Repair Scams and Settlement Deals
Many credit repair companies claim they can provide incredible improvements to your credit report or significantly reduce the amount of debt you owe. Beware! In many cases, these companies request payment for services that you can perform yourself for free, and they may not disclose the consequences of their actions to your financial health.
Don't work with companies that:
- Request a fee before they provide service
- Can't or won't tell you about your legal rights or the actions you can take yourself for free
- Recommend that you do not contact a credit bureau directly
- Suggest you try to invent a new credit report by applying for an Employer Id Number (EIN) to use instead of your Social Security Number
- Advise you to dispute all information in your credit report even if it is correct
Some of the consequences of using these services could be:
- Prosecution for providing false information when applying for credit, misrepresenting your Social Security Number, or obtaining an Employer Id Number (EIN) under false pretenses
- Unforeseen income tax liability from settled balances
- Significant adverse effects to your credit history
If you have been taken advantage of by one of these companies, or are a victim of a scam, contact your local consumer protection agency, state Attorney General, or Better Business Bureau for help. You may also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.
Contact us for credit counseling services.
CCCS of Rochester is committed to outstanding customer service. Our Client Support Department is open daily M-F from 8 am - 5pm EST. Explore our consumer credit counseling services. We offer debt consolidation and debt management programs, bankruptcy counseling, foreclosure prevention counseling, housing counseling, and a variety of financial education programs.